I know I haven’t been blogging regularly lately and there are reasons for that. I’ve been crazy busy with a major project that really needed all of my time and attention. I’m happy to say that the beast has been put to bed and now I can breathe again!
After so many days of hard work it was a wonderful treat to learn that I had won a most valuable prize! After entering a contest on Facebook that was sponsored by Smith Magazine, an online social community and magazine devoted to storytelling of all types which features the popular Six-Word Memoirs series, I was selected as one of the winners and my prize is that I get to perform my six-word poem and back story at the Six-Word Memoir Story Slam next week!
Paying homage to Mother’s and Father’s Day, the event is a night of six-word sagas about the diverse hilarity and complexity of relationships between mothers, fathers, daughters and sons and will feature a host of esteemed writers such as:
- Susan Orlean, staff writer, The New Yorker, and author of The Orchid
Thief, The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup and the forthcoming biography of Rin Tin Tin
- Joe Lockhart, former press secretary for President Clinton; managing director of the Glover Park Group
- Deborah Copaken Kogan, author of Shutterbabe, Between Here and April and Hell Is Other Parents
- Laura Zigman, author of Animal Husbandry and Dating Big Bird, and co-host of the new NPR show Hash Hags
- Gesine Bullock-Prado, author of Confections of a Closet Master Baker and Sugar Baby
I am honored to have been chosen to be a part of this amazing evening and if you will be in New York, please come down and enjoy the show! I’m told there will be an opportunity for audience members to read some of their six-word poems too!
Click here for more information and tickets: Six-Word Memoir Story Slam Event Details
I hope to see you there! Cheers!
© 2011 – 2014, TamekaMullins. All rights reserved.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.