Lyric Fire: Nolana’s For November

For this month’s Tamstarz Tools piece I want to change it up. I’m feeling poetic so instead of my usual narrative, I will feature a poem that sums up how I feel about November. The picture above is of a Chilean Bell Flower which is also known as a Nolana. It’s blue color reminds me of winter which can be cold but offers great beauty.

Nolana’s For November

we can only do so much

sand and grit from the beach

line the bottom of tote bags

scents from ocean’s essence

taunting us

remember the sun

ice cream trucks musical melody

hard wood floors soon will be encased in ice

inviting glints of silver against frost

long curls will hide under hats

fingers take cover from the cold in gloves

curves covered in wool and leather escape critiques

car tires spin out

dancing on black diamonds

goals not met

packed away for another day

eyes framed by tears

will soon dry

nolana’s for november

makes the mouth curl upwards

yes you get a prize

you made it

we are much more

than what we accomplish

good deeds are gold

being determined to try is priceless

congratulate yourself for playing the game

© 2011 – 2014, TamekaMullins. All rights reserved.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Comments (18 Responses)

1. It’s the first time I’ve ever encountered a Nolana and on a November. I love the color it brings…it brings so much hope and positivity…a sense of newness! And of life 🙂
    I do believe that the tears will dry soon. I truly look forward to it.
    A particular flower for this season… loved it 🙂

2. Thanks dear heart! I really loved the look of the Nolana and the name is pretty too! Usually things that are blue are considered harsh or cold, but I found it ironic that there is nothing cold about a blue flower. November may bring cold winds, but staying positive will keep us warm throughout the winter!

3. sulekha says:

Tameka, a beautiful blue flower with a warm heart 🙂 Love the November post and yes staying positive keeps the cold of negativity away.Great going Mamita.

4. Thanks Sulekha! I always appreciate your feedback!

5. rimly says:

Lovely blue flower this Nolana and I loved your November poetry. For me winter is also a time to look back and reminisce on all that has gone by. Beautiful

6. jan says:

Beautiful flower, it is so true, the winter holds the cold, but also much beauty. I love your November poem, yes winter for me is a time for reflection and contemplation.<3

7. blognostics says:

Gorgeous, loved it..

8. Pamela says:

Ohhh, a few favorite stanzas but if I had to choose one. . .
    “sand and grit from the beach
    line the bottom of tote bags
    scents from ocean’s essence
    taunting us”
    LOVE IT!

9. Thanks Jan, Alejandro and Pam! I love when you guys stop by!

10. Jim says:

I love the rhythm in this poem… also the stanza
    sand and grit from the beach
    line the bottom of tote bags
    scents from ocean’s essence
    taunting us
    This kind of imagery is what makes you stand out!! Loved this

11. Jim! I’ve missed you! Thanks so much! Glad you’re back and I look forward to your posts this week!

12. Andy says:

Hello Tameka.
    I have a thing for flowers & that Nolana is simply gorgeous!
    Autumn is my favorite season.
    Wonderful November poem. Definitely a winter treat.
    Thanks for sharing & visiting. Your comments are always appreciated.
    Here’s my latest gem:

13. Thanks Andy! The feeling is mutual!

14. How beautiful and brings the true feeling of autumn to surface. Truly enjoyed it!

15. Lovely tribute to welcome winters!! Loved d blue Nolana…ooo la la la!!

16. Thanks Manisha! Have a lovely week!